Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sungat pannaupkari


















This is a recipe from a friend SG, who is a great enthusiast when it comes to food.
I copied and pasted it here for a quick ref...... I'm just lazy to write the entire recipe.
I plan on loading a pic...just of the dish, when I make it the next time since I was too busy savouring the dish.
G's Note: I made this extra dry since I wanted it that way but typically it has a little bit of yummilicious gravy to go with the shrimp.

The pic here shows my favourite dinner........... Rice with dalithoy and sungat pannaupkari.

1. 1 lb Shrimp cleaned and deveined.
2. 1 large onion finely chopped
3. 15 red chilly (BYADGI only) - this chillies give the richness and control the amount of spice
4. 1 tbsp coconut
5. 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
6. 1 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste

make a paste of the red chillies and the coconut by adding as little water as possible. Heat oil in a kadai and fry onions till golden brown. when the onions are fried add the red chilly masala and tamarind. add the shrimp and see them turn pick. Add salt to taste and cook till the water evaporates.

A couple of lessons learnt
1. use only byadgi chillies else you may have to call the fireman!!
2. use as lil water for the paste..the shrimp does leave some retained water.
3. alter the ratio of chilly paste and tamarind to make the curry sour or hot.

Things I would do differently
1. to add more coconut to thicken the gravy.
2.use smallest shrimp available to achieve the taste like Indian prawns.
3. use 50/50 of byadgi and house blend or guntur chillies since byadgi gave a nice color but I felt that it missed the the rich flavour.

No comments: