I helped my friend make this on Navrathri since she planned to make sweets for all the families she knew around our town. The recipe looked easy...too easy to taste good. I was skeptical at first but it's not my place to ruin her excitement or to judge her culinary expertise. So I went ahead being the extra sets of hands with the peda making. We made 3 batches that gave atleast 150 pedas and in the meantime had a great time catching up on our lives. Peda was so-so. A runner up for the store brought( read carefully,not bakery ones)
The only alteration I would make would be to roast the milk powder in a khadai after the microwave process. It sure did need the roasty khova flavor which u don't get in the microwave.
Microwave Pedha - makes about 24
3/4 stick sweet cream, unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup milk powder
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
5 cardamoms, peeled, crushed
few strands of saffron
charoli or almond slivers
1. Melt the butter by placing it in a microwave safe container. Microwave for 30 seconds or more till butter is melted.
2. Add dry milk powder, sweetened condensed milk, nutmeg, cardamom powders and saffron.
3. Microwave for 3 minutes.
4. Take out. Mix well. Microwave for 1 minute
5. Take out. Mix well. Microwave again for 1 minute.
6. Take out. Mix. Let it cool down. Pretty repetative but atlest we are not slogging at the stove.
7. Knead with your hands when it is warm to touch, not HOT.
8. Roll into pedhas of desired sizes. Flatten the pedhas.
9. Garnish with charoli or almonds on top.
1. Microwave cooking time varies for each microwave. Please use your own judgement.
2. Make sure that microwave container is deep as the condensed milk mixture tends to boil.