Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ekpanne thamboli

Its the 2nd year anniversary to my blog! Yay!
Surprisingly I don't have a sweet dish to put up but I do have a nutritious, memory booster, tastiest thamboli among my favourites.
Ekpanne a k a one leaf , vandelega in kannada, Brahmi in Sanskrit and Thimare in tulu.... tastes very good for health and taste in chutney form and as thamboli ...but we completely disregard the health benifts and eat it just for its taste....just like any other amchi family. I haven't tried it any other way other than chutney or thamboli and I believe these are the only ways of consumption common to everyone back home. I miss this here in the U.S and should remember to have this during my visit to IND in summer, when it grows like crazy in our farm.
This is an uncooked gravy. Refrigerate to preserve the flavor.
Ingredients:
Ekpanne leaves about 1 cup
green chilles 6
Coconut 1/2 cup
cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
ghee
tamarind paste 1/2 tsp

Method:
Heat ghee and fry the jera with ekpanne leaves till they wilt, roast coconut.Grind it with all the above ingredients.
Serve with rice.

No comments: